Quote of the Week
“I’ll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not.”
The late Keith Miller (World War Two bomber pilot and Australian Test Cricketer) puts life in perspective
Event video of the week
Dine at Chatsworth
Leading events organisers Dine recently catered for 1700 Guests at Chatsworth House.
Watch the video here.
News of the Week
Mayor unveils first ever 24-hour vision for London
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has launched his vision for London to become a leading 24-hour global city as he pledged to plan for life at night in the same way the city does for the day. London’s £26bn night-time economy generates one in eight jobs in the capital and is set to grow in the coming years.
The principles focus includes:
- Promoting all forms of culture and leisure – not just pubs and clubs, but a wide range of activities for people of all ages and interests
- Attracting investment and tourism
- Increasing opening hours
- Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of residents, visitors and night-time workers
Tweet of the Week
BBC presenter Andrew Neil tweeted
“New IMF growth for 2017: UK 1.7%, > France (1.5%), Italy (1.3%), just below Germany (1.8%). Guardian: makes us “sick man of Europe”. Bizarre” View the tweet here.
Thought of the week
Enjoying the social craft of the past
Conversation, Knowledge Share and Debate – the basis for effective leadership.
Winston Churchill is once reported to have commented that his position as a leader was created by his ability to “talk with authority, socialise with ease and influence without preparation”.
It was once said of President Clinton that he “could charm any room, win over any audience and knew how to make a person feel great about themselves”.
It is true of many leaders over the years and these skills are as important today as ever.
As of September, EP is delighted to be launching:
- The Hospitality Debating Society – Can you win over an audience through your oratory skills? The grand old craft of a debate is educational, fun and often thought provoking. Engaging with opposing views and speaking strategically is an essential need and this activity does allow one to interact with a wider community.
- The Art of Conversation – Social interaction today is too dominated by mobile phones and Apps. There are many that would enjoy time away from the pressures of the constant flow of comms via the phone and just enjoy a relaxed meal and social interaction. Conversation is still the most influential of social skills and there is little more enjoyable than a good dinner coupled with great company.
Has Company process become more important than swift and effective interaction with customers and suppliers? Find out more by clicking here.
Video of the Week
British Airways safety video – director’s cut
The amusing new safety video has been created in collaboration with Comic Relief and some famous faces. View the video here
eHotelier Hospitality News
Vertical Booking increases portfolio to over 5,000 hotels. Vertical Booking, a recognized leader in global reservation technology, has announced rapid growth in 2017, with the addition of over 588 hotels in the first six months of the year, bringing the total to more than 5,000 hotels in 106 countries. Read here.
Malta’s favourable tax climate and burgeoning tourism sector attractive to developers, says DAMAC’s Sajwani. DAMAC International Chairman, Hussain Sajwani, sees Malta as a favourable investment destination, following a tour of the island-nation and a private meeting with Maltese Prime Minister Dr. Joseph Muscat. Find out more.
Hotel searches increase in anticipation of the eclipse of a lifetime. With less than 40 days until the first total solar eclipse America has seen in 26 years, travellers have been planning trips, searching for places to stay and coordinating their visits for months. Read more here.
Protest of the week
Are you ready for Snact’s Delicious Protest?
Every day we waste 1.4 million bananas in the UK. Snact are using this surplus to make delicious and healthy bars.
“Bananas are the most popular fruit in the world, but also one of the most wasted. We want to stop 1.4m bananas going to waste every day by turning them into awesome food waste-fighting delicious banana bars – or if we may: the best bars on and for the planet!”
For more information on EP please contact; Natalia.firstname.lastname@example.org